Friday, January 6, 2012

put a bird on it



September Sky
24x24"

This is a piece I made for the Belfast Poetry Festival back in October. I was paired with the poet Richard Miles from Harrington, Maine. Over the course of about 8 weeks, we corresponded via email- exchanging working images from my studio and bits of writing from his. It was the conversation between the two mediums that produced this painting and the following poem by Richard.


A goddess spoke the word gold, her breath
passing over water, transforming it.
Before color, first seeds out of the explosion
set out on their long path to perfection.

Possessed by flowers and blackbirds,
I wait on a stone and observe.
The birds shriek and the flowers click open
spreading their fragrance wide.
I shall make gardens this way

with syllables and floating digits.
All belief and liberating wind:
our essence in process
will be gently coaxed out,
uttering its own name, a-shine.

-Richard Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment